Nathan Brown House
Nathan Brown House, Inc., is a 501(C)3 tax-exempt non-profit corporation formed to preserve the 1850s home of the family of Nathan Brown, a great grand-son of Michael Braun, who built the 1766 Old Stone House. Nathan was a gentleman farmer, educator, Civil War veteran and postmaster of the Rock Well community. Our goal is to restore the house and grounds then educate children and adults on how families existed during the time leading up to the Civil War. The house is located in eastern Rowan County on Hwy Old 80 across the street from Christiana Lutheran Church's cemetary.
Since we began in 2005, NBH, Inc. has successfully moved the house to preserve it from demolition, underpinned it with a block foundation, rebuilt the chimneys, and replaced the modern asphalt shingles on the roof with cedar shakes. Work on the house has/will be paid for through donations and fundraisers. Therefore, we need all individuals and businesses to help us create a living history museum that will be used for decades to come.
In addition its historical significance, the Nathan Brown House has important religious ties to the community. Nathan Brown was one of six men who, with their families, formed Christiana Lutheran Church in 1871. The organizational meeting was held in Nathan Brown’s house and services were held there until a sanctuary could be built. Nathan and wife Jane and his mother Amy Miller Brown sold land to the church for that very purpose. Approximately six months after the formation of Christiana, a number of families met at Nathan Brown’s house and chose to establish St. Luke’s Church (now St. Luke’s Reformed Church).
Contact the church office for more info or to learn how to get involved in the Nathan Brown House organization.